Botanic name: Daucus carota
Health Benefits of Purple Carrot
Purple vegetables are rich in anthocyanins, an antioxidant compound reported to aid the improvement of memory, protect against heart attacks, enhance vision and act as anti-inflammatories.
These Purple Carrots have a bright purple skin covering the orange centres which are packed full of vitamin A and beta-carotene, just like regular carrots.
Skin colour disappears when cooked.
Purple Carrot Growing Information
Prepare soil so that it is deep and powdery to allow roots to grow strong and true.
Cold soil temperatures will intensify the skin colour.
Purple Carrot Recipe
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Peel 10 Purple Carrots and slice.
- Peel and quarter 2 Chioggia Beetroots and 1 Red Onion.
- Toss vegetable in 2 tbsp Rosemary leaves and a handful of Garlic cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast on a lined baking sheet for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Your roasted vegetables are now ready to serve.